Tuesday 1 May 2012

Site Project

The site project was about creating an art piece outside the gallery space. We were told to consider our chosen site and through the work, make a comment on the space. The aim of this project was not to produce any piece of artwork and put it in an alternate environment; It was to consider the environment and why you have chosen it and to reflect this chosen space with in the work. Both the site and art should compliment each other.


The first thing to consider is the parks natural and wild component, I believe this is why we as humans enjoy recreational parks, it’s out of the city, off the concrete away from the constructive nature of man. In contrast to this another aspect of the park is one that I believe goes generally unnoticed. What I am referring to is the human enforced structure that dictates nature, the conscious decisions such as where a tree is planted, where a flowerbed is dug, where straight and geometrical pathways will segregate islands of green and the constant shaping, cutting and pruning of grass, shrubs, trees and bushes.


I transcribed this idea through a series 3D models and found objects. I displayed a fake plastic branch, a birds nest made from twigletts, fake moss, fake bird excrement and a plastic crow decoy. I was happy with the result of my work as I feel the idea was well constructed and as I intended my work went unnoticed to the point where the group were looking at another peers work in a tree where one of my pieces sat overlooked. Something that didn’t work particularly well was my attempt to create bird droppings. I first tried a latex and paint mixture but this did not look very convincing so before the tour of work I used a yogurt and water mixture however this didn’t look very convincing ether. On the whole my work got a great response and by far the most successful piece was my twiglett bird nest perhaps because of its sarcastic comment.





No comments:

Post a Comment