This is an unfinished attempt at some scenic set design. The reason it is unfinished is because I have no idea how to paint it.
Tuesday, 1 May 2012
Set design has been an interest of mine since a college project in 2007. I currently have a hard time painting as I have not picked up techniques like dry brushing so i feel this lets me down. My model making is generally good however I have a peer from my college course who is very skilled at both modelling and painting. I have been discussing meeting up with Liam and getting some techniques or possibly collaborating on a piece.
I set myself the task of transforming a broken toy helicopter into something different. I wanted to see if I could deconstruct and reconstruct using only the original items. It was never my intention to make a shark; I simply tested out different shapes with my deconstructed helicopter pieces and the shark became the most prominent shape. I like to have an extra element in my models such as movement, sound or light so for this piece I rewired the small LEDs situated in the bottom of the helicopter giving my shark light up eyes.
This in an attempt I have made at creating a latex head for animating using the build up method. This method takes a very long time. First I mounded a head and jaw shape from wire aluminium wire. Next I used air-drying clay to smooth out the shape of the head. The final and longest stage involved painting on liquid latex and slowly building up layers using tiny pieces of sponge and latex. I added a small amount of flesh tint to my latex. I am happy with the result although it does look messy. This is a good method for making single characters, however if you wanted to produce more than one of the same character it could be very tricky to make them look similar.
This is a video I found on creating model heads from latex. The heads can be made with moving components by building up around malleable wire. This can be used to animate the eyebrows and the jaw. I think the created models are quirky and each one looks original however they can look a little messy.
I transcribed this idea through a series 3D models and found objects. I displayed a fake plastic branch, a birds nest made from twigletts, fake moss, fake bird excrement and a plastic crow decoy. I was happy with the result of my work as I feel the idea was well constructed and as I intended my work went unnoticed to the point where the group were looking at another peers work in a tree where one of my pieces sat overlooked. Something that didn’t work particularly well was my attempt to create bird droppings. I first tried a latex and paint mixture but this did not look very convincing so before the tour of work I used a yogurt and water mixture however this didn’t look very convincing ether. On the whole my work got a great response and by far the most successful piece was my twiglett bird nest perhaps because of its sarcastic comment.